- Paleoceanography, Paleoclimatology, Geochemistry, Sedimentology
- Ocean Drilling, Micropaleontology (radiolaria, silicoflagellades, and benthic foraminifera)
I study climate and ocean variability, processes, mechanisms and teleconnections.
My research focuses on the paleoclimate reconstructions for the Tropical Pacific Ocean, Gulf of California, for the past thousand years. My research is inter- and multidisciplinary, since I use different tools of micropaleontology, geochemistry, isotopes, sedimentology, magnetic properties, electronic microscopy and modeling.
These investigations are important for understanding the role that tropics play in the Global Climate System, one of the best examples is El Niño Southern Oscillation phenomenon (ENSO), teleconnections, among other factors and processes.
I am also working on the Chicxulub impact crater, in the Yucatan platform, and mass extinctions, participating in the IODP and ICDP drilling projects. They cover a wide range of themes, including studies of the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum and other hyperthermal events during the Cenozoic Era. The significance of these studies is to understand how the life was recovered after a mass extinction and the consequences of global warming.
- 3D imaging of drill sites within the Chicxulub impact crater: Seeking new insights into the impact hydrothermal system and recovery of life”. PI. UNAM and Texas University – CONTEX.
- Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology of Mexican Seas. PI Institute of Geophysics, UNAM.
- Late Pleistocene-Holocene climatic variability in the southern Gulf of California. PI. Institute of Geophysics, UNAM.
- Chicxulub impact crater: Study of drilling core samples, potential field and seismic data). Associated researcher collaborating with the interpretation of geochemical data (stable isotopes).
- Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology of the southern Gulf of California. PI. Institute of Geophysics, UNAM.
- 2006-UC-MEXUS Project in the Revillagigedo Archipelago, Mexico and the International Project in the Galápagos Islands. Associated researcher collaborating with the interpretation of sedimentological and geochemical data.
- 2005. Cooperative project with the Charles Darwin Foundation and the Galápagos National Park (Government of Ecuador). Subproject: Geochemistry and Sedimentology.
- 2003-2004. “Pánuco” Project. Subproject: Benthic foraminifera assemblages at the Pánuco river and its relationship with environmental factors. IMP (Mexican Petroleum Research Institute).
- 2003. Oceanographic and Meteorological parameters for the assessment and design of fixed structures and submarine lines in the oil industry along the Tabasco littoral zone. Subproject: Oceanography. PI. IMP-PEMEX (Mexico´s state-owned petroleum company).
- 2002. Oil seeps in the Gulf of Mexico. IMP. Associated researcher collaborating with the geochemical analysis of sedimentary samples.
- 2002. Research on natural and anthropogenic emissions from offshore activities of PEMEX – Mexico´s state-owned petroleum company. Associated researcher in charge of the interpretation of sedimentological and micropaleontological data.
- 1997-2000. Paleoceanography of the Gulf of California, Mexico). Postgraduate student collaboration.
- 1996. Campeche continental shelf Neogene sedimentological and paleoenvironmental research. PI. IMP-PEMEX.
- 1993-1994. Paleontological database implementation and its isotopic correlation. Chief researcher. IMP.
- 1992-1993. Setting up of 87 Sr/ 86 Sr curve that varies through time for a Neogene sequence from southern Mexico). IMP.
- Ph.D. Ocean Sciences (Geological Oceanography) 2000
Graduated summa cum laude UNAM (National University of Mexico), Institute of Marine Sciences and Limnology.
- M.Sc. Ocean Sciences (Biological Oceanography) 1989
Graduated summa cum laude UNAM (National University of Mexico) Institute of Marine Sciences and Limnology).
- B Sc Biology
Faculty of Sciences UNAM (National University of Mexico)
- President Mexican Geophysical Union (UGM) 2018-2019
- Member American Geophysical Union Cowen Award Committee 2008-2013
- Fellow Third World Organization for Women in Science
- President-elect, Outreach Secretary Mexican Geophysical Union 2011-2017
- Mexican Society of Paleontology Member Board Committee 1994-1995
- Mexican Geophysical Union Member Council Board 2011-2019
- Member American Geophysical Union
- Member Mexican Union for Quaternary Studies
- Member European Geosciences Union
Honors and Recognitions
- Premio Nacional de Periodismo (National Journalism Prize Science Communication) 2018
- Sor Juan Inés de la Cruz Medal for outstanding academic performance UNAM 2015
- Alfonso Caso Medal for outstanding academic student performance UNAM 2000
- Researcher Scientist. Institute of Geophysics, Department of Geomagnetism and Exploration, UNAM (National University of Mexico) December 2004-Present
- Researcher. Mexican Petroleum Research Institute. Geoscience Department. 2002-2004
- Associated Researcher. Mexican Petroleum Research Institute. Exploration Division. 1993-1997
- Chair of Laboratory of Electron Microscope and X-ray Analysis. Mexican Petroleum Research Institute. Geosciences Division. 1994-1997
- Research Associate. Mexican Petroleum Research Institute. Exploration Division. 1992-1993
- Marine depositational environments (1999). University of Southern California.
- Marine environments and Paleoecology (1999). University of Southern California.
- Stable Isotope Geochemistry (1996). University of Barcelona.
- Short course: Geochemical applications to environmental geology (1996). American Association of Petroleum Geologists.
- Scanning electron microscopy and X-ray microanalysis (1994). Lehigh University, Bethlemen, Pennsylvania, USA..
Teaching and Students
- Paleontology. Faculty of Science
- Paleobiology. Faculty of Science
- Earth Sciences. Faculty of Sciences, UNAM
- Workshop Principles of Paleoceanography and Paleoclimates
MMSc / Mater Level
- Research Methods in Paleoceanography
- Paleoceoceanography and paleoclimatology
MGeol / Master Level
Staff serving as external examiners
- Universidad Autónoma de Baja California, México
- University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- 20 Undergraduate students
- 13 Graduate students